roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Pike documentation Martin Bähr <mbaehr[at]email[dot]archlab[dot]tuwien[dot]ac> 10-12-2008
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:18:10AM -0800, Dave Walton wrote:
> Yeah, like a few months ago when I promised my boss that I'd learn
> Python this year, then started learning Pike instead.  :)

:-)
you are not going wrong here :-) pike and python are similar enough so
that if you know neither it does not matter much where you start first
if anything, pike is easier in the long run because python has more
complex features (generators, decorators, metaclasses) and more
confusing constructs. (self for object scope vs class or local scope)

> > the process giving others the best possible chances to join in, rather
> > than feeding a todo list into the void with attached sentiments of
> > "it's somewhat shameful you haven't already done this", which
> > admittedly is very easy to happen to do unwittingly.
> Well, I certainly apologize if it came out sounding that bad.

it didn't, and i think johan may be intentionally exaggerating to
explain his point.

> More of a "help me help you" than a "Somebody needs to".

well, technically there is no real difference between those two other
than the perception of the reader. either way the resources to help from
the developers side are limited. (and hence my offer to commit your
documentation improvements, since that takes much less work than going
out and setting up a commenting service on the pike website)

> As Bill pointed out, the wiki has a lower barrier, though it's not
> really in the right place to be helpful to people looking up module
> usage.

right, we would at least need a link from each module in the main
documentation to connect the two.

> I've got a couple ideas for articles there, but I'd want them to
> be more fleshed out than quick tips and sample code in the module
> reference would be.

but quick tips are a good start, you can share those and flesh them out
later...

> So right now they are percolating in the back of my
> head while I do other things.  Like learn Python.....

would be interested in your experience and comparison of learning pike
and python at the same time. i am learning python now after using pike
for more than 10 years and while i have yet to find anything that python
does better than pike i suspect that is because i am looking at python
through pike eyes (ie i have no problem using python features that are
equivalent to pike but i don't yet get things like generators or
metaclasses)

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world