roxen.lists.roxen.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Roxen and SSL Velpi <velpi[at]industria[dot]be> 20-01-2009
Use the SSL SAN extension (Subject Alternative Name): one SSL
certificate for multiple 'common names'. Of course your (commercial) CA
needs to support this. (eg
http://www.verisign.com/ssl/buy-ssl-certificates/subject-alternative-name-certificates/index.html)

this is why:
1) TCP/IP connection setup: SSL handshake using *THE* certificate
2) encrypted HTTP connection setup: contains HTTP 1.1 'HOST' header for
virtual hosting

The data that provides the virtual host functionality (from HTTP v1.1)
is sent AFTER the encrypted connection is setup. So there is no ways any
webserver can choose which certificate it should use on one TCP socket
(IP+port combination), it can only use 1 for every connection to that
socket.

--Velpi

--