roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Suggestions for a small menu-driven system? Martin Bähr <mbaehr[at]email[dot]archlab[dot]tuwien[dot]ac> 19-08-2009
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:17:41PM +0200, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
> Older versions of anything = not well supported (I guess).

i don't think bill meant to imply that he used an older version
intentionally a newer would not run, but rather that it's an older setup
and it's no longer running, so upgrading does not apply.

caudium has not changed much, in versions so what is true for an
older version, should still hold for a newer one.

> So, then I'd have to choose between:
> a. An existing more-complex-system-than-needed which I mostly need to support
>    myself.

which you can still make usefull to others, enlisting their support.

> b. A lean system which I still need to program which does exactly what I need
>    which I might need to support myself (since I possibly can make it useful to
>    others, and therefore enlist their support as well).

you are missing the other option bill suggested, using scriptrunner,
which is another existing system which might just be more fitting.

personally, i'd just run pikes small http server and add some custom
classes to serve pages as needed, maybe use scriptrunner for that...

> It's just a GUI,

it's a WUI (i think we need to start emphasizing that difference, lest
people start to believe that webinterfaces can replace a traditional
desktop like google chrome OS suggests)

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world