roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Suggestions for a small menu-driven system? Stephen R. van den Berg <srb[at]cuci[dot]nl> 19-08-2009
hww3 @ Pike  importm?te f?r mailinglistan wrote:
>Since you're going to be doing pike development, and are thinking
>about building an rxml based system, why not just use a pike-based web
>server in the first place? I've run older versions of Caudium, for
>example, on embedded boxes and have had good results (for example, the

Older versions of anything = not well supported (I guess).
So, then I'd have to choose between:
a. An existing more-complex-system-than-needed which I mostly need to support
   myself.
b. A lean system which I still need to program which does exactly what I need
   which I might need to support myself (since I possibly can make it useful to
   others, and therefore enlist their support as well).

Given those options I prefer b to a, in most cases.

>Alternately, if CGI performance is a problem, you could use a
>persistent pike interpreter, like ScriptRunner[1] to speed things up.
>I've used it plus lighttpd using SCGI, and have been quite satisfied.
>ScriptRunner also has support for what I call "PSP", which enables
>embedded Pike in html pages ala JSP.

It's just a GUI, so performance is not an issue (even with the current
Pike recompiling master on every startup).  The fact that it takes
a noticable amount of time just makes it easier to do profiling to optimise
Pike as such, not necessarily needed by the application at hand.
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.