roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Standards.CSV vs Parser.CSV Martin Bähr <mbaehr[at]email[dot]archlab[dot]tuwien[dot]ac> 10-02-2009
On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:03:17PM +0100, Bertrand LUPART wrote:
> As a side note, Public.Standards.CSV is available via monger.
>
> This name was chosen over Public.Parser.CSV after some discussion on the
> Pike list because it can generate CSV data.
> Naming it "Parser" could mislead users to think it could only read CSV
> data.

the same reasoning would apply to Parser.XML, Parser.SGML and Parser.RCS
Standards is way to generic in my opinion. all the Protocols.* would
fall into that and more... i don't think that's useful.

Parser may not be ideal, but it at least implies that we are dealing
with translating structured data in some way.

Structure.* or Format.* might be a better name, but first of all i'd
like to see consistency. if pike core uses Parser.* then the Public
namespace should use Public.Parser.*

if we rename it, then both places should be renamed.

Public and core namespace should be the same where it makes sense. this
makes it easier to see how things relate, it also makes it easier to
move modules from Public to core (or vice versa)

though there may be an argument to try out a new namespace layout that is
better before adopting it to core...

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world