roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: RFC: New Parser class for parsing structured datafiles (non-XML) Stephen R. van den Berg <srb[at]cuci[dot]nl> 02-02-2009
Martin Stjernholm wrote:
>"Stephen R. van den Berg" <<srb[at]cuci.nl>> wrote:
>> Erm, actually, the csv and mt940 where example usage cases, not actual
>> proposed classes.  The purpose of this parser is to make it easy to
>> parse line/block oriented dataformats.

>Aha, ok. Well, if you think it's generally useful then go for it. I
>don't have any experience with such formats, so I can't say. I just
>know that a simple function to parse a csv line would be a good thing,
>but it doesn't sound like this is quite the same thing then.

The class probably is efficient enough to actually use it as a base
class implementing the CSV class.

>> I could create two classes like that which then would use a base
>> class Parse.Structured to actually implement them, but that was not
>> my primary concern.

>Parser.Structured is a very generic name; all formats (except natural
>language, perhaps) are structured in some way. Can you think of
>something more descriptive? Would Parser.Tabular be a misnomer?

Doesn't sound so bad, I'll use it.
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

"If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?"