roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Pike & Python Martin Bähr <mbaehr[at]email[dot]archlab[dot]tuwien[dot]ac> 12-12-2008
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 01:01:12PM -0800, Dave Walton wrote:
> Hehe, truly.  Guess I was thinking more about something like qbasic.

yeah, i learned basic on the trs-80, machines from the early 80s

> >> whitespace:	don't get me started!
> > is that a positive or negative impression?
> Strongly negative.

ok, for me it's my favourite feature in python.

> It's far too easy to introduce problems that can only be fixed (or
> even discovered) by a careful line-by-line analysis of the code.

have you run into this? it has never been a problem here. but then i
insist on using only spaces in pike as well so my indenting is always
consistent.

> But, yeah, that's really more of a tool than a feature of Python.  I was
> trying to be fair and balanced and make sure I had something positive to
> say about it as well, and that's the best I've come up with so far.  :)

hehe, there is something positive about the culture that comes out of
this. having tests inline encourages writing tests right away.

we don't do this here at work, and as a result most tests are written as
an afterthought...

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world