roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Pike & Python Dave Walton <dw-pike[at]digger[dot]net> 11-12-2008
Martin Bähr wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 01:10:09AM -0800, Dave Walton wrote:
>> But with one of them, I feel like I'm reading BASIC.  :)
>
> REALLY? I DON'T KNOW, MY BASIC MEMORY IS ALL CAPS, WHICH FEELS QUITE
> DIFFERENT :-)

Hehe, truly.  Guess I was thinking more about something like qbasic.

>> I've found that my eyes start to glaze over when -ors (generators,
>> iterators, etc, etc) are mentioned, regardless of the language involved.
>
> hehe, iterators are easy (anything that can be treated like a list)

Yeah, they are probably one of the easiest of those advanced concepts.

>> A few early Python impressions...
>> whitespace:	don't get me started!
>
> is that a positive or negative impression?

Strongly negative.  Invisible characters that can easily be
inadvertently modified (different editors, copy/paste, etc) have no
business carrying meaning.  It's far too easy to introduce problems that
can only be fixed (or even discovered) by a careful line-by-line
analysis of the code.  But I told you not to get me started...  :)

>> doctest:	unit tests inline with the functions being tested,
>
> that's just a question of the right syntax. like autodoc today, tests
> could be added in a similar form.

Yup, sure could.  SOMEBODY should...
[ducks and runs for cover]

But, yeah, that's really more of a tool than a feature of Python.  I was
trying to be fair and balanced and make sure I had something positive to
say about it as well, and that's the best I've come up with so far.  :)

Dave