roxen.lists.roxen.general

Subject Author Date
Re: https interoperability problems Peter J. Holzer <hjp[at]wsr[dot]ac[dot]at> 13-09-2006
On 2006-09-12 20:20:27 +0200, Rolf Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > Increasingly often I find tools which cannot access https sites hosted
> > on Roxen. From memory:
> >
> > mnogosearch
> > Nokia Communicator
> > various Tools written in Java.
>
> And you are sure it's not about the certificate, like self-signed problems
> and applications not accepting them?

Not 100% sure, but circumstantial evidence says otherwise:

* I don't seem to have such problems with an Apache server which also
  has a certificate signed by an untrusted authority.

* In at least one case where I used Ethereal to check what goes over the
  wire it was Roxen which terminated the connection (and the client
  reconnected immediately, only giving up after several failures which
  wouldn't be sane behaviour in case of a cert problem - the cert won't
  change from one second to the next)

* At least in a consumer device like the communicator I'd expect an error
  message like "this site is evil because it doesn't pay verisign", not
  something nondescript like "cannot connect to server".

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | If I wanted to be "academically correct",
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | I'd be programming in Java.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Jesse Erlbaum on dbi-users