roxen.lists.roxen.general

Subject Author Date
Re: See you around Martin Bähr <mbaehr[at]email[dot]archlab[dot]tuwien[dot]ac> 30-08-2006
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:13:38PM +0300, Emils wrote:
> Lack of presence in significant mainstream distros is a major point though.

that is a point that nothing can be done about unless pike (and roxen)
popularity increase enough that volunteers willing to package pike and
roxen come up, or until someone gets paid to do so.

in general this argument is not interresting, because it is the same
argument that most windows advovates use against other operating
systems. if we give in to this argument then we have already lost.

> Still, speaking about PHP, I would have to run it behind tomcat or
> zope if I needed some application that is COTS in PHP, but doesn't
> exist in Python/Java.

no, you would run it behind apache, side by side with tomcat and zope.

roxen and caudium are not supported to run behind another webserver.
yes technically it can be done, but there are no instructions to do so
and no support for it in the (otherwise excellent) admin interface, and
generally noone does this so it is not well tested and issues are simply
unknown.

> having to mungle a seperate web-server on separate port, just to do
> forums, is kinda stupid

exactly.

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world