roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Pike 7.8.346 beta Henrik_Grubbström <grubba[at]roxen[dot]com> 19-09-2009
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Philipp Hancke wrote:

> Henrik Grubbström wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>>> New build that I hope to release as a stable towards the end of the
>>> week:
>>>
>>>    http://pike.ida.liu.se/download/pub/pike/beta/7.8.346/
>>>
>>> Windows build avilable.
>>
>> A Gentoo ebuild is now available from the Pike overlay.
>
> btw: why does the ebuild use --without-copt?

It's been inherited from the original Gentoo ebuild, so I'm not sure, but
I believe it has to do with Gentoo policy, where optimization options
should be controlled via /etc/make.conf et al.

> This has a major performance impact on my machine (xeon x5460 cpu),
> both with `pike -x benchmark` and realworld tasks.
>
> The output of `pike -x benchmark` when pike was built without any
> CONFIGUREARGS: http://hancke.name/pike/default-knecht
> and --without-copt: http://hancke.name/pike/without-copt-knecht
> The "optimized" version runs twice as fast.
>
> It might be worthwhile to drop --without-copt from the configure args
> in the ebuild :-)

True, but as I said, I believe it has to do with Gentoo policies.
You should be able to achieve the same level of optimization by setting
the same flags in /etc/make.conf.

--
Henrik Grubbström					<grubba[at]roxen.com>
Roxen Internet Software AB