roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: pike used in concert, tomorrow in Ghent Yvan Vander Sanden <yvan[at]youngmusic[dot]org> 08-09-2009
2009/9/8 Stephen R. van den Berg <<srb[at]cuci.nl>>

> Yvan Vander Sanden wrote:
> >I don't know if any pike users are living nearby Ghent, Belgium. But
> anyway,
>
> I know Gent, presuming that's what you are referring to.  Close to Gent,
> maybe not, close to Belgium in general, probably (Maastricht).
>
> Yes, Ghent is the English name for Gent (Dutch) or Gand (French) :-)

> Interesting, what made you decide to program it in Pike?

A combination of many things. To name some:

- looks like c\c++ (i mostly program in c++, really didn't like the syntax
of lua and python)

- object oriented (good oop is lacking in lua)

- no compilation needed (so i wanted a script language. I tried to make
something in c++ first. Did work very good, it's not very handy if you have
to recompile for every parameter you change in your music, just to be able
to hear the result)

- has a way to write extensions in c (algorithmic music can be very
processor intensive, especially if you're using real time audio. The 'heavy
duty' parts should be written in a fast, compiled module)

- possible to embed in c (this is more important for another project, i
thought i'd need it for this too, but it turned out i could very easy build
a gui environment in pike-gtk and run pike scripts on command from there!)

- platform-independent (still some work on windows though. I'd love it if it
were a bit more easy to compile pike myself on that platform. For now i'm
doing it all on linux, but that means on a virtualbox at work)

- threading available (really needed for working with inputs and outputs in
realtime)

- open source: this was my main reason not to use the environment my
colleagues developed. I'd have to pay for a power-basic compiler which only
works on windows. (also basic syntax makes me run away screaming. I can't
stand a statement which does not end with a semi-colon ;-)

While using pike, i also got impressed with the speed of the programs. This
convinced me it's an interesting language for me even more.

I think that's about the most important.

--
Copyright only exists in the imagination of those who do not have any.