roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
Re: Less filling (Re: Startup times Pike vs. Perl) Stephen R. van den Berg <srb[at]cuci[dot]nl> 20-08-2009
Martin Nilsson wrote:
>There has been very little effort on making the dumped files smaller. It
>may be interesting to compress the .o files with deflate and extend the
>codec in the master to inflate the data before decoding. Could be faster
>than compiling the pike code.

It definitely is faster to decompress instead of compiling.  It also
definitely is a lot smaller to compress the .o files instead of keeping
the plaintext source.  Additionally, it most likely is faster to load
less and then decompress, than to load the full .o file from disk without
needing to decompress.
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.