roxen.lists.pike.general

Subject Author Date
80% faster, congratulations (Re: Startup times Pike vs. Perl) Stephen R. van den Berg <srb[at]cuci[dot]nl> 19-08-2009
Henrik Grubbstr?m wrote:
>I've now implemented a codec for use when decoding the master object.
>I've now fixed this issue as well and fixed a few compiler bugs
>along the way (reversing the compiler isn't exactly easy)...

Preliminary tests confirm this.

As for timings...  *** drum roll ***

# time pike -e ''

real    0m0.141s
user    0m0.110s
sys     0m0.010s

Compared to the timings I got in the beginning, this shows that pike now
needs only 20% of the time that it originally took to startup.

Not quite as snappy as Perl yet:

# time perl -e ''

real    0m0.012s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.000s

But, these timings (for Pike) I can live with.  I would guess that the
largest difference might be that perl doesn't interpret anything at startup,
it just starts the C-compiled binary; whereas Pike is running master.pike
already.  Anyone who knows more about Perl innards who can confirm this?
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.